Not that we're working any slower, but at least the temperature of the water in the upstairs toilet is definitely cooler. The plumbers came last week and switched the supply line. We had pulled out the cabinets, and luckily they could open a one foot square hole in the subfloor and get it done. Here's a before pic. I forgot to take one after they were finished, and then we put the cupboards back in place.
Pete and I started on the railing last weekend too. We bought some stock oak shoe and ripped the sides off at a point where it is 3/4 of an inch tall, so we will lay it right into the floor.
We then put a last piece of flooring outside it.
We then pulled the shoe out of the space and removed the top. To complete this we will attach the spindles with screws from the bottom of the shoe, and then install the shoe into the floor.
We cut 5/4 inch stock into spindles, and will use an inverted shoe at the top with a piece of 3 1/2 inch wide trim on the top. I stained the spindles and now hope to start varnishing so that we could install the bookcase side of railing next weekend.
Getting the railing completed is a major step toward our occupancy inspection. While there are many things yet to do to make the place truly liveable, as soon as the tub supplies are connected and the railing is up, we will have "met code." I find that to be a truly scary thought.