Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Other 90% of Time...

A favorite quote of Mine: "The first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% of the job takes the OTHER 90% of the time."

I have baseboard stained and varnished. I had backband stained and varnished and yesterday Pete and I put up backband around the door casing we had installed. The salvaged backband was enough to do the bathroom, laundry, and hallway sides of the bedroom doors. Here's how it looks:









We also put backband around the window in the sitting room.


With this completed we can start to put baseboard up in the sitting room and the hallways.

Last night Carl, my neighbor, delivered more backband that he milled from 5/4 stock that I had. This should be just about enough to do the bedroom doors on the inside. I'll need to start staining and varnishing again...

2 comments:

merideth said...

i cant believe how gorgeous your wood work is looking. 90% gorgeous, 10% wow (or is that an additional 90% wow?)

Mike said...

Thanks, Merideth! I am occasionally wowed myself when I walk upstairs. Not that I didn't think it could be done...

To me The key is using salvaged wood. I would have to say that the wood itself upstairs is more visually interesting than down. My guess is that a lot of what I used upstairs came from the teens, while the house was built in the late twenties, and the difference in what was available is noticeable.

I must also say I took my pictures from much farther away than your medicine cabinet!

-Mike