I consider this week, when I start teaching workshops, the end of my summer. So I will slow down on projects, but won't quit completely. I have come to some resolution with the two I've been posting about lately, so here's a wrap up.
Over the weekend I cut plywood to fit the space between my doors and the corners at the front of the garage. The reason the whole front had racked out alignment was there was no support there. By placing 3/4 inch plywood from the foundation up to the top of the doors I think I've given enough bracing to keep it plumb.
I had only 8 1/2 inches from the door jamb to the corner. The corners had a 2x4 stud already, so I added a stud to the jamb side to have a edge to catch the plywood on. After cutting the piece to fit exactly I used 2 inch screws, set every 3 inches apart to hold the plywood in place. Here is what the north end looks like:
Here is the south end:
There was one diagonal brace from the top of the south end to the mid point of the north, that you can barely see the bottom of in the picture immediately above. I screwed the plywood into the bottom of this piece. I then added a new diagonal from the north end to the mid point of the south. You can see the bottom of that piece in the first garage photo above. Here is where the two intersect:
After I had all these installed I took the "come along" winch off and returned it to my neighbor. Here is the garage:
I still need to do door repairs, but now that it's square I could reroof it this fall.
Even though the garage is full of bikes and other stuff, I pulled the car in part way to see if it would fit. I have about an inch of clearance on each side mirror!
I finished the back corner that I'd been working on. Here is the final version painted:
And a close up:
I moved my scaffolding to the other side of the back porch yesterday. I'd like to get the rest of the back painted before winter!