Sunday, June 13, 2010

Happy 99th Birthday, Pergola

I finished painting the pergola last week. The final part was painting the cement columns, which I did in "Lambswool" the same color as our window trim and back porch columns. Here is a column taped off at the capital:


And taped off at the base:


So now that it's all complete here is a view from the south:


A view from the east:


A view from the north:


And a view from the west:


So if we put this in last summer and just finished painting it now why celebrate its 99th birthday? Because I found a forgotten piece last week, that I had stashed away in my carpenter's box when we were salvaging the columns from their original location. You may remember that the columns were originally here:


I wrote about it here:
Going Vertical

When we were knocking apart the cement blocks on the porch I found this inside one of them:



In case you can't read it:

Built by
Bart Easlon
June 14, 1911
For Mr. M Wolbe

So I can say "Happy 99th Birthday, Pergola!"

1 comment:

StuccoHouse said...

Wow, that looks SO nice! I love how those old-time craftsmen left notes on things when they built them. It's always a thrill to run across a note from the past.