Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In the Catbird Seat

After getting the main beams up it was time to put on the cross beams, I used all my salvaged lumber on the main beams so I bought treated 2 X 8 boards. The easiest way to put them up was to place them on top of the main beams and mark them where they would cross the main beams:


Then we used the jig saw to cut notches while we were on top of the pergola, rather than take each board up and down:


After we got the cross beams up we put on 2 X 2 boards over the top. As soon as we were finished both Pete and I said the 2 X 2's looked really stupid, because they weren't correctly scaled with the other boards:


As you can see above, they are barely noticeable. Next post will be how we corrected that situation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY we get to sort of see the mystery man Pete's face...my God, he's drop-dead sexy!!

Mike said...

I agree. It's the combination of the shades, the powertool, and straddling the boards I believe...