We started laying the hard wood floors upstairs today. Paul, the salvage barn manager for Friends of Historic Preservation, came this morning to give advice on where to begin and how to work. My thought was to start in the master bedroom and work toward the hallway. Paul's suggestion was to figure out where the baluster for the railing would be, and snap a line to work down the hallway toward the bedrooms. So that was what we did.
The first board we glued and screwed with 3" deck screws. We made sure to drive them into the floor joists, which means they also went through the original sub floor and the 1/4 inch plywood we laid over that to ensure a smooth surface. We counter sunk the screws and will cut 3/8" plugs to cover the holes.
Laying down the plywood will allow us to orient the floors the same as first floor. In so doing we will end up running the same direction as the original subfloor, which would be a big no-no without the decking. The sub floor on first floor is laid diagonally. Paul suggested laying the oak flooring diagonally which would simplify corners and edges, but we decided against that.
The floor nailer we are using is one I bought on Ebay. It is a "Ramsond" which I cannot find through any google searches. We are certain this is a reverse engineered knock off, that is probably produced by an overseas company that is a front for Al Qaeda, or the Columbian Drug Cartel, or both in partnership with the Tripartite Commision. Here is Pete driving the first staple.
We don't work quickly but are careful. At the end of the first wall I was with an 1/8" from being plumb.
I did work a little on my own down the narrow hallway, then called it a night.