I knew if I posted about the sink's cold water stem no longer leaking from the wall it would start again. So yesterday I took the entire assembly off AGAIN. I wrapped teflon tape around the cold stem AGAIN, I reassembled the whole faucet AGAIN. I was happy. Then as I was sitting at the breakfast nook table working on taxes, I noticed that the faucet was DRIPPING. Arrgh. I was right back to where I started a month ago. My thought was that sediment from the pipes had gotten into the stem and were keeping it from shutting tightly. So I spent the afternoon getting up and turning the water on and off every 20 minutes or so. When I got up this morning the sink was dry. But I'M NOT SAYING IT'S FIXED! For the record this is the 5th faucet I've installed in this sink in 4 years, but in my defense several were salvaged ones that I had to put on in a pinch...
The good news is that while I had the faucet off I was able to remove the plug for the third hole in the sink. The better news was that no water came spraying out of the pipe, but I was pretty confident since I knew that pipe ran down to the basement and was not connected to anything. Now I can jerry-rig something together for a soap dish.
So here's a little trip down memory lane of posts about the sink: