Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Following the Beaten Path

Sunday was too nice a day to work inside on stripping varnish so I started to move my salvaged limestone around. I had brought a fair amount of 3 inch limestone edging from our old house to Foxcroft last year. I moved this to the back yard to begin to edge along some beds and create a boundary for a path. We are adding to the stepping stones we uncovered last year. Lisa thought the llimestone would look good on the front edge of the beds along the back of the yard, and I said let's use our smaller rocks collected from her Dad's hunting farm in Missouri (mostly geodes and chert) to outline the "island" of flowers between two paths. Here is a picture of how it looked after working Sunday, taken from the upstairs gable window:



We will plant something (creeping thyme?) between the new flagstone paths eventually.

Tomorrow I start hard and heavy with summer work. First up will be:

  • finish stripping and re-varnishing door trim
  • Stain cedar shakes
  • Paint storm windows
  • Install one storm in each bedroom so I can pull a double hung set
  • Clean, reglaze and stain/varnish double hungs


The week of June 19 will be F&L builder reunion week as Pete, Taryl and John come over to trim out the new gable and install the cedar shake siding, Yee Ha!

No comments: